Athletic Trainer - CFA--NH-Somersworth Apply View Saved Jobs Job ID 3209388 Date posted 08/10/2022
Wentworth-Douglass Hospital, a subsidiary of Massachusetts General Hospital, is renowned as one of the largest acute care hospitals in the Seacoast region of New Hampshire and Southern Maine. At Wentworth-Douglass, we value people who contribute to patient-centered care that enhances community health; we recognize and reward those who share our values and transform our patients' lives. We invite you to explore opportunities, cultivate community wellness and professional growth.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity for a Certified Athletic Trainer to join our comprehensive Wentworth-Douglass Hospital sports medicine team. Working out of the Marsh Brook clinic location, the right candidate will work closely with our team of athletic trainers in the Center for Athletes sports performance center to primarily provide strength and conditioning services to a variety of post-rehab patients and athletes at all levels with occasional local high school event coverage. Will work closely with our expert physical and occupational therapists and onsite physicians to coordinate client and student athlete medical care. This is a GREAT place to work.
The Athletic Trainer will primarily provide clinical care to participants of the Center for Athletes. The Athletic Trainer will also be available to provide medical coverage of athletic training room duties and/or athletic events on an as needed basis. He/she will be responsible for assessing injured athletes and provide appropriate medical treatment. The Athletic Trainer will collaborate with the Primary Athletic Trainer and Team Physician for the assigned high school and the WDH Rehab Services Department. The hours for this position will vary based on the demands of the fall, winter, and spring athletic season.
1. Provision of immediate assessment and care for injuries for Interscholastic Athletic Teams with WDH contracted high schools for athletic training services and provision of care to participants within the Center for Athletes.
a. Coverage of athletic events as needed.
b. Provide athletic training services to student athletes participating in sports (games and practices) held at home sites and away sites (per contract with individual high school).
c. Communicate with parents, primary care physicians, specialists, therapists, Primary Athletic Trainer and other relevant members of the student care team regarding injury diagnosis and treatment, as needed.
d. Work under the direction of Team Physician and in consultation when available with the Primary Athletic Trainer to manager return-to-play decisions.
e. Communicate with coaches regarding specific athletes, injury trends, medical and health recommendations.
f. Document athletic injuries via the established documentation system
g. Design, implement and carry out injury prevention programs with student athletes, based on sport specific injury trend reports.
h. Perform other duties as assigned by Team Physician and/or Athletic Director.
i. Plan, implement, evaluate and modify appropriate preconditioning, conditioning and reconditioning programs for athletes.
j. Accurately document objective information in medical record. Appropriately communicate verbally or in writing using correct medical terminology. Demonstrate tact, good judgement, and timeliness in communication.
k. Maintain a safe, clean and orderly environment for athletes, coworkers and self by cleaning equipment and work area, storing supplies appropriately, handling equipment using appropriate body mechanics, and reporting any issues that require further maintenance or inspection to supervisor. Compliant with hospital regulations and athletic departmental procedures for infection control, electrical equipment safety, confidentiality, fire and disaster plans.
l. Appropriately use equipment and supplies for the efficient and cost-effective operation of the athletic department and hospital.
m. Establish effective working relationships with coworkers, athletic departmental staff, orthopedic personnel including physicians, nurses, physical therapists, medical assistants and admin staff and other pertinent personnel.
n. Attend and participate in departmental meetings
o. Record and submit information required such as orientation and competency data, education log, yearly mandatory information, etc.
Experience Minimum Required
• Licensed athletic trainer
• Experience Preferred/Desired
• At least five years as an athletic trainer in practice setting
Education Minimum Required
• Bachelors Degree in Athletic Training from an accredited AT program
• Education Preferred/Desired
• Masters Degree in Athletic Training
Special Skills Minimum Required
• Exceptional interpersonal, communication and customer service skills are essential
• Strong clinical and assessment skills are essential
Licensure and/or Certifications Required
• NH Athletic Training License
• Athletic Training Board Certification
• AHA or ARC BLS within 2 weeks of hire
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
· The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)